Repairing an inconsistent system

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Sun Apr 3 08:30:10 PDT 2005

I made a mess of my 5.3 installation.  I cvsupped the ports tree, and
then tried to get the gtk interface to Ruby to work, and reinstalled the
port for gtk20.  Firefox and Evolution then stopped working, complaining
about missing libraries such as libgtk-x11-2.0.so.400 being absent -
they have been replaced by  ..so.600.

I tried doing ln  -s ...600 ... 400, and the result was even worse; the
applications ran, but all the text was scrambled.  So I copied the
original libraries over from another machine, and things SEEM back to
normal.  But I now have a machine that has libraries that don't match
the ports tree.

How should I get myself out of this self-inflicted mess?  Re-install
gtk20, followed by all the applications that depend on it?