Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD?

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sun Apr 3 06:22:06 PDT 2005

"Andrew P." <infofarmer at mail.ru> wrote:

> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 April 2005 10:57 am, Andrew P. wrote:

> >>It seems we lack some update system in FreeBSD. I
> >>have only 2 freebsd boxes, one serving as an
> >>internet gateway for the other. And whenever I want
> >>to update the latter one, I think about all the
> >>traffic that I'm gonna waste and CPU time to build
> >>and my own time to get some distros from one machine
> >>to another.
> >>
> >>I dream about a server running on my main machine,
> >>which gets queries from intranet freebsd boxes that
> >>want to be updated. The server negotiates with each
> >>client and acts as requested:
> >>	1.1) fetches a binary package, or
> >>	1.2) fetches a source package, or
> >>	1.3) finds a binary/source in its cache, and
> >>	2)   builds a package if needed, and
> >>	3)   gives binary/source to the client

> > Its doable, providing both boxes have identical CPU's and
> > the port build options on both have the same options. If the CPU's
> > are not identical are you willing to build every thing to the lowest
> > common denominator such as CPUTYPE?=i486 ?  If this is the
> > case then really all you have to do is make sure you have
> > a /usr/ports/packages dir on one machine then upgrade portmanager -u.
> > This will put a package for everything upgraded
> > into  /usr/ports/packages/All.  nfs share /usr/ports/packages/All
> > directory with the other machine and on that one upgrade with something
> > like portupgrade -aP.

> Thanks, I'll try to do this via ftp. What about the
> system itself? Is there an easy way to copy all the
> binaries from one box to another?

Your building machine can  share /usr/src/ via nfs.
You can then do a "make buildworld" on the server
and "make installworld" on every machine.

If the kernels are the same, you can use the same build
on every machine as well. As Michael has already mentioned,
you have to keep /etc/make.conf general.

Since FreeBSD has no ftpfs, using nfs seems to be the easier way.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de