Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD?

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:56:12 PST 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 10:57 am, Andrew P. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I know this has been brought up a number of times
> and I doubt that it is the right place to post to
> or even a right subject to raise, but still.
>
> It seems we lack some update system in FreeBSD. I
> have only 2 freebsd boxes, one serving as an
> internet gateway for the other. And whenever I want
> to update the latter one, I think about all the
> traffic that I'm gonna waste and CPU time to build
> and my own time to get some distros from one machine
> to another.
>
> I dream about a server running on my main machine,
> which gets queries from intranet freebsd boxes that
> want to be updated. The server negotiates with each
> client and acts as requested:
> 	1.1) fetches a binary package, or
> 	1.2) fetches a source package, or
> 	1.3) finds a binary/source in its cache, and
> 	2)   builds a package if needed, and
> 	3)   gives binary/source to the client
>
> Is that so difficult? C'mon guys, just one step
> forward to perfection :)
>
> Very best wishes,
> Andrew P.

Its doable, providing both boxes have identical CPU's and
the port build options on both have the same options. If the CPU's
are not identical are you willing to build every thing to the lowest
common denominator such as CPUTYPE?=i486 ?  If this is the
case then really all you have to do is make sure you have
a /usr/ports/packages dir on one machine then upgrade portmanager -u.
This will put a package for everything upgraded
into  /usr/ports/packages/All.  nfs share /usr/ports/packages/All
directory with the other machine and on that one upgrade with something
like portupgrade -aP.

-Mike