can i delete /stand ?

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sat Apr 2 13:37:10 PST 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 23:19, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:13:11 +0200
>
> "Erik Nørgaard" <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
> > Some people like sysinstall as a postconfiguration tool, and documen-
> > tation refers to this. But you can run it from /usr/sbin/sysinstall
>
> I can't. Nor have I something like '/rescue/init'

-STABLE (5.X) does or should. What used to be /stand is now (sort of) /rescue.
If you have 4.X you'll still have /stand. If you updated through cvsup for a
long time you might have both. In that case /stand is indeed a leftover. The
sysinstall binary was moved to /usr/bin. /rescue is in principle independent
of sysinstall. They're statically compiled binaries that can be used in case
your (now "dynamic", that is linked to libraries residing elsewhere, not with
libraries built-in) root is broken or so. You could run, e.g. /rescue/ls.
Everything in /rescue is the same statically built binary but they're not the
same as the sysinstall binary. With 4.X this was so but not anymore with 5.X.

Hope that clarified,

Dan