Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD?

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Sat Apr 2 10:57:34 PST 2005

Hello!

I know this has been brought up a number of times
and I doubt that it is the right place to post to
or even a right subject to raise, but still.

It seems we lack some update system in FreeBSD. I
have only 2 freebsd boxes, one serving as an
internet gateway for the other. And whenever I want
to update the latter one, I think about all the
traffic that I'm gonna waste and CPU time to build
and my own time to get some distros from one machine
to another.

I dream about a server running on my main machine,
which gets queries from intranet freebsd boxes that
want to be updated. The server negotiates with each
client and acts as requested:
	1.1) fetches a binary package, or
	1.2) fetches a source package, or
	1.3) finds a binary/source in its cache, and
	2)   builds a package if needed, and
	3)   gives binary/source to the client

Is that so difficult? C'mon guys, just one step
forward to perfection :)

Very best wishes,
Andrew P.

P.S.: M$ SUS 1.x sucks so hard that I can't even
find the right words to describe it. Sorry :)