Which mail server is the best for me?

Duo duo at digitalarcadia.net
Sat Apr 2 06:03:56 PST 2005

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> ``Sendmail is insecure'' is a broad statement that is no longer true,
> but let's put that aside for a while.

However, it should also be pointed out that, historically, sendmail has at
times, been more trouble than its worth. It does have a rather long
history of being difficult to configure, and vulnerable. While it has
gotten better, id like to throw my $0.02 in here and say, postfix is a
nice elegant solution to the whole thing.

I run postfix in darwin. Postfix is a drop in replacement of sendmail,
offers (IMO) better options, more security, and in my experience, better
documentation than sendmail. It also seems to play better with spam and
anti virus add ons.

I don't want to start a religious war here, but, sendmail in my experience
has been more about overthinking the plumbing, and really isint geared
towards novices. In short, you will find that postfix documentation is
more in "english" and sendmail is more in "geek". Which is fine and dandy.
Ultimately both scale about the same, as postfix can be dropped into a
sendmail environment and quickly converted.

Postfix is like sendmail, without the blood, sweat and tears. If you want
to get up and running, with 10-20 users, with a minimum of fuss, and
really solid, non arcane documentation, id go with postfix. It's a great
project, well updated, well supported, and much lauded.

I would *not* recommend sendmail to anyone supporting a low user amount,
in my opinion, the time/trouble to fiddle with sendmail is not worth it.
Period, end of story. =)

But, again, that's just my $0.02. Dont take my word for it however, look
at both http://www.sendmail.org and http://www.postfix.org. The
documentation differences, and indeed, style in which its presented, alone
should sell you on postfix. =)

I have zero experience with qmail, so I can't comment on it. I know people
who use it have good things to say about it. Including some of the web
based administration of it.

--
Duo

Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
administration.
 	--Philip Greenspun