FW: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri Apr 1 14:47:38 PST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 05:39, David Armour wrote:
> hello Danny,
>
> thanks for your help, and sorry for the delay getting back to you.
>
> > > /etc/devfs.conf:perm    xpt0    0666    #permissions are set properly
> > > at boot
> > > ... i'll have to take another google around, later
> >
> > perm means permissions are being set, xpt0 is the device ('ls /dev') 0666
> > are the permissions. 4=read-only, 5=readable-and-executable,
> > 6=readable-writable, 7=readable-writable-executable. See 'man chmod'. The
>
> pretty incredible that i didn't get a chance to actually do any googling
>
> before i had more info than i knew what to do with! for example:
> > Devfs is a lot better than the static devices we had before (4.X and
> > before) where all possible devices (when supported in the kernel or with
> > modules) had to be hardcoded whether they were really present or not.
> >
> > FWIW, I have a great preference for using grep after a pipe, I get
> > confused by its options also so I tend to avoid them (except -v), e.g
> > cat file | awk { something } | sed s/something/something_else/g | grep
> > keyword
>
> i'm way far away from understanding awk & sed. so {something}, in this case
> would be {permissions are set properly at boot}? but what's the
> "sed /something/something_else/g"... etc.?

Oh, no, not at all, it was meant as an example. It's about how there's many
ways to search for things in files or replace certain strings in files, etc.
As in: if you're having troubles with options to one tool it's perfectly OK
to avoid it by using another tool and pipe the output from one to the other
( the "|" ). Be lazy but do it smart :) Sorry if I confused you.

You just needed to edit devfs.conf with any editor you like for setting the
permissions for devices as the thread went.

> > Look into tools and learn the few that for some reason appeal to you.
> > Learn some inside out and others briefly. There's many ways to Rome you
> > know...
>
> seven, as i recall. or was that hills? sono perplesso!

Hills I think, but now I'm doubting if that wasn't Athens :)

> > For general tricks and tips search for general unix/shell/sh/bash/csh
> > how-to's and console tips. The book Unix Power Tools is a great resource
>
> i got that one out of the library a few months back, and yes, it was
> helpful. i'll google for the how-to's & console tips. thanks for the
> recommendations!

YW,

Dan