sendmail

Gert Cuykens gert.cuykens at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:42:41 PST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 9:59 AM, Erik Nørgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
> Gert Cuykens wrote:
> >>Just how big is this movie and are you sure his ISP's/private
> >>mail server would even accept it?
> >>
> > Its 5.5mb and my gmail doesnt want to sent it :(
> >
> > So how do you do that with the sendmail command ?
>
> As everyone else notes, this is not a job for e-mailing. Even if you
> want to e-mail the file, it is not a job for sendmail. When you send
> attachments they are typically base64 encoded, this explodes the file
> from 5.5MB to about 8MB.
>
> You can cut it up in two ways: Use transcode to make shorter clips and
> send separately or convert the file to base64, then cut it up manually
> and ask your friend to concateneate the attachments and deconvert from
> base64.
>
> The second option is the low tech - transcode is not designed to be user
> friendly.
>
> But, as everyone suggest: Setup anon ftp, an apache webserver, or give
> ssh access - all of these are faster, simpler and better. This is
> posible if you are not NAT'ed and have a reasonably fixed ip.
>
> Erik

well i can setup a ftp but then i have to leave my pc on all the time
, people need to sleep you know and i cant sleep whith
PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background. irc wasnt made
to sent files either and look at it now , its more popular then ftp :)

So how do i get a movie in my friends mailbox using sentmail ? I was
thinking in de lines of sendmail -t blabla at blabla.bla -a movie.mpeg -m
hello.txt -s hello ?