Best Practice for Allowing non-root Users Access to Serial Port?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Apr 1 09:17:15 PST 2005

	What is the safest way to let non-root users access
/dev/ttyd0?  I notice that in FreeBSD, /dev/ttydx is owned by
root:wheel.  In linux, the ttySx's are in a special group so the trick
there is to add users to that group and make sure the ttyS's are group
writable.

	Here, I want the users to be able to use C-kermit to talk to a
remote device without them having to be root.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group