Error mounting Linux ext2fs drive

Erik Greenwald erik at smluc.org
Thu Sep 30 07:41:43 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:39:16AM -0500, Damon Butler wrote:
> I recompiled my kernel, including the "options EXT2FS" option line. No
> problem. After rebooting, I was able to successfully mount my linux
> drive thusly:
>
>     mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad0s1 /linux
>
> I transferred some files and was very happy.
>
> Now here's the frustrating bit. Time has passed and the machine has been
> shut down and rebooted a few times. After that initial success, I have
> never been able to mount that !$!@#$ drive again. I invariably get a
>
>     Operation not permitted
>
> error. What gives? How can I retrieve my former happiness?
> --Damon

this is the default error spewed out when the linux file system is not
clean. (I.E. it was not unmounted properly on the shutdown where it
ceased working)

install the sysutils/e2fsprogs port and e2fsck the /dev/ad0s1 (or boot
linux and use that if it's possible), hopefully that will fix your issue
:)

--
        -Erik <erik at smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.