Organizing the output of make etc.

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Sep 29 21:17:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:27:55 +1000
Andrew Robinson <andrewr at uidaho.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm administering my own little hobby system.  Great fun.  I notice
> that when I make targets, usually through portupgrade, a great deal of
> text flies by.  Some of it is of obvious immediate use, such as this
> advice from Subversion:
>
> Make sure that:
> * all your svn users are members of a common group
> * this group is the group id of the db/ and locks/
>   subdirectories of your repository
> * the above subdirectories are writable by this group
>
> and some of it is not, unless the upgrade or installation fails, eg,
> the output from each compilation.
>
> What I'd like to know is: how do you more experienced types cope with
> this information flow?

this article should add a few tricks to your bag.  page 2 should be the
most relevant to the question at hand::

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html

while you're there, check out the many other useful articles.
click on 'All Articles' under 'BSD Content' (on the left-side frame).

another option would be to use /usr/bin/script, although that doesn't
filter out any of the build messages.