lpr error messages

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Wed Sep 29 19:28:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 07:21:16PM -0700, Gary Schenk said:
> I cannot print from either X or the command line. It was working
> fine until a few hours ago. Any suggestions on where to start
> on this would be much appreciated.

LPR is a binary and so the output here is unexpected (as they look more
like script errors).

> bash-2.05b$ lpr test.txt
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 12: */5: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 15: 0: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 18: 1: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 19: 15: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 20: 30: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 25: 1,31: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 28: 1: command not found

> I'm thinking that /usr/bin/lpr must be corrupted. I'm not
> sure how to go about testing that theory, or what to do
> if that is the case. I've searched the list archives and
> googled to no avail.

If you want to reinstall the lpr binary, you can either go through a make
installworld process or install the binary on it's own by going into
/usr/src/usr/sbin/lpr and doing a 'make install'.  That will recompile and
reinstall lpr.

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net

Dog for sale: Eats lots and is fond of children.