5.3-BETAx Boot Problems

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 29 10:42:46 PDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 29. September 2004 18:53 schrieb Pratt, Benjamin E.:
> Hello, I am still trying to get FreeBSD Beta to work but am running into
> problems when my system boots.  The boot problem appears to be occurring
> just
> after the IDE drives are detected but before the root file system is
> mounted.
> These are the last four lines of text that are displayed when I try to
> boot
> from either ISO or after running CVSUP:
>
>   md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc09b6c5c
>   ad0: 29314MB <IC35L030AVV207-0/V21OA66A> [59560/16/63] at ata0-master
> UDMA66
>   ATAPI_RESET time = 1630us
>   acd0: CDRW <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100/1.0c> at ata1-master
> UDMA33

It's possibly a bug in the new fdc code. I also have one system with a floppy
which stops booting since beta6. Just remove device fdc from the kernel (or
try to disable the Floppy Controller in the BIOS) and see if that helps.
Hadn't have time yet to look at -current if this bug is known and if
applicable create a PR.

-Mano