natd not doing anything

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Wed Sep 29 09:11:08 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex de Kruijff" <freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl>
To: "Micheal Patterson" <micheal at tsgincorporated.com>
Cc: <sysadmin at ridley.unimelb.edu.au>; <r.dridan at ridley.unimelb.edu.au>;
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: natd not doing anything

<snip>

> This is not a problem. First ipfw and ipf are two different firewall
> rules. Its perfectly ok for one to deny everything by default and the
> other to accept everything. Also both firewalls can be used to gether.
> Secondly where one to set something like this for one firewall, then
> that firewall would most likly pick only one setting.
>
> He probly don't use ipf and thus can remove IPFILTHER lines. All this
> does is to make the kernel a bit smaller.
>
> --
> Alex
>
> Articles based on solutions that I use:
> http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/

Oops.. my bad. I missed that it was IPFilter and IPFW. As for the double
nat, that can be an issue as I've recently had that exact same problem. If
his router / natd unit isn't configured to provide nat for the range he is
using, it will fail due to routing.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.