FTP command line syntax

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Tue Sep 28 08:27:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:04:34 -0600
Steve Suhre <steve at Antero.com> wrote:

> If I use the suggested syntax:
>
> ftp ftp://user:password@host/path
>
> I get:                Can't locate or login to host `user'
>
> It looks like ftp is not aware of the man page and wants the server
> where the login info is supposed to be. I've tried several variations
> of the line with no luck. Any help?

The above command works for me (FreeBSD 5.2.1, i386).
I have to give the path _relative to my login-directory_.

krylon at neuromancer:~:: ftp ftp://krylon:xH3b0O@wintermute/distinfo
Connected to wintermute.
220-
220 wintermute FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20020615) ready.
331 Password required for krylon.
230-
    NetBSD 1.6.2_STABLE (WINTERMUTE) #7: Sun Sep 26 02:09:00 CEST 2004

    Welcome to NetBSD on wintermute!
230 User krylon logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 Type set to I.
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||65528|)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'distinfo' (110 bytes).
100% |******************************************************|   110
 7.94 KB/s    00:00 ETA 226 Transfer complete.
110 bytes received in 00:00 (1.09 KB/s)
221-
    Data traffic for this session was 110 bytes in 1 file.
    Total traffic for this session was 953 bytes in 1 transfer.
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on wintermute.
krylon at neuromancer:~::

So if I wanted to grab the kernel-image from that machine I would have
to say:
ftp ftp://krylon:xH3b0O@wintermute/../../netbsd
(My login-directory is, of course, /home/krylon.)

Kind regards,
Benjamin

--
If cars had improved at [the computer industry's] rate, a Rolls Royce
would now cost 10 dollars and get a billion miles per gallon.