serial port config

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 27 13:47:24 PDT 2004

At 01:24 PM 9/27/2004 -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > So, let me get this straight....I am going to add:
> >
> > >device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
> >
> > to the kernel configuration, aka the GENERIC file in
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > if the
> > system is not customized at all?
>
>What you are doing is to tell the kernel what he needs to do to
>configure that device. If by not "customized at all" you mean you don't
>have the hardware in the computer yet, there is no problem, when you
>will boot the kernel it will give up if there is no hardware.

By not customized, I mean that the file will be the GENERIC kernel config
file.  This doesn't seem to be the correct way as I get this error message:

config: /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC:279: devices with zero units are not
likely to be correct

What file do I add this line to?:

device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

-Bob