Backup Mail Server Questions

Nico Meijer nico.meijer at zonnet.nl
Sun Sep 26 22:11:23 PDT 2004

Hi Bill,

> Backup SMTP is even more difficult to justify.  The SMTP standard has
> transient failure recovery built into it, so if your net connection is
> down for an hour or so, mail delivery will resume when the connection
> comes back up.

But, with backup MX, *you* are in charge of all mails in the queue.
Routing messages to a new primary becomes so much more easier.

End users are less likely to get "couldn't deliver yet but will keep
trying" messages from their own smtp-server. (It appears to me that most
users, when given such automated notice, start running around in panic
and making frantic, unnecessary phonecalls. This was different some
years ago.)

Bye... Nico