problems with boot loader stage1

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Sep 26 03:47:00 PDT 2004

Hi FreeBSD-Gurus!
[Please Cc: me]

Short Description: FreeBSD 4.10, installed on /dev/hde (linux lingo),
booting via lilo (on hda) -> hde goes to stage0 but stops there.

Longer:
Recently I have installed FreeBSD (4.10) for compiling TeXlive binaries
for i386-freebsd. I used some disk space on ad4/hde (bsd/linux lingo).

linux fdisk shows:
/dev/hde1               1       20887   167774796   83  Linux
/dev/hde2   *       20888       24321    27583605   a5  FreeBSD

Then I booted from the CDROM, selected ad4s2, made (bsd-)partitions
therein (automatic: btw: Whay is there no /home allocated in the
automatic system?) and installed the system.

I decided to install the boot0 loader into the MBR of ad4.

Then I added the following to my lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hde
        loader=/boot/chain.b
        label=FreeBSD
and tried to boot from there. But what happened: I arrived at boot0 with
the following `menu':
F1 Linux
F2 FreeBSD
F5 ??

Default: F2

and that was it, here no Enter, F2 or anything else worked, no reaction,
beside Ctrl-Alt-Del and back to lilo.

I tried similar lilo entries:
other=/dev/hde2
	table=/dev/hde
        loader=/boot/chain.b
        label=FreeBSD
but here the screen stays black at all.

To me it looks like there is no boot1 installed anywhere, or boot0
cannot access it.

I suspect that this is a problem of the cylinder border. The slice 2
starts well above the 1024 cylinder (or was it sector).

Can one of you tell me how I can boot this FreeBSD installation?

I can access the bsd partitions in rw mode from linux (kernel-2.6 self
compiled) and see all the files, but would really like to boot the beast
;-)

[Please Cc: me]

Thanks a lot and best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien