Ultimately Safe User Account

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Sat Sep 25 20:36:53 PDT 2004

Andrew wrote:
> I have a production FreeBSD box. My friend is starting to learn Unix
> essentials and is asking me for an account. He doesn't require any
> special rights, but he certainly wants to be able to use shell and read
> most manual pages. He'll access the server via Internet, SSH.

A slightly different take on this:

Unless you're *REALLY* poor/underpaid, the time you would spend making a
"safe" way for your friend to poke at a production box to learn would be a
lot more expensive than a cheap-o eBay computer...

Give him his own box with FreeBSD on it and let him be root -- He'll learn
a heck of a lot more by screwing up things as root than any other way of
learning.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm