Port upgrading - my way

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Sep 25 09:09:23 PDT 2004

W. D. wrote:

>At 23:11 9/24/2004, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>

>>W.D. it's your cron job I'm looking, so I'll talk about it. It would
>>work, probably most of the time. Your example has both portsdb -Uu
>>and make index in it. Just use one, otherwise you're building INDEX-5
>>twice. Running pkgdb -fu (by the way, make that -uf instead, I know
>>it doesn't make any difference but I look at it and laugh too hard
>>to think about anything else)
>>

>Yeah, I guess we really want to un-eff the database, rather than
>eff-up the database. ;^)
>

>>won't do the trick in the case were
>>you've deleted something and the now missing dependencies were not
>>taken care of.
>>

>How would one know when this has occurred?

Portupgrade's utilities will gripe at you, and not
complete their assigned tasks (e.g., you type "portsdb -uU"
and it returns something similar to "stale dependency:
pkgfoo-2.1 -> pkgbar-3.2 run pkgdb manually to fix, or
specify -F to force")

>>You're going to have to do pkgdb -fF and manually
>>remove the bad dependencies.
>>

>I am clueless here.  How would one do this if/when
>it would happen.

Y.A.C.A. (Yet Another Classic Article):

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

This time by Michael Lucas, and yes, it's older than the last, but the
concepts are there to be found ....

HTH,

KDK