Help me please: I'm confused about remote log-in.

Michael C. Shultz ringworm at inbox.lv
Sat Sep 25 00:01:41 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 09:45 pm, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> Good day!!!
>     My home pc is obtaining an internet connection
> through a dial-up modem. And as for this, I'm using
> ppp. On my analysis, the ppp program residing in my pc
> is connecting to some sort of an authenticating
> server, am i right? Aside from the PPP, I've read the
> portion in freebsd handbook regarding dial-in/out
> services but I couldn't figure out how the process
> works. Now, what i really wanted to do is to allow my
> friend to log-in remotely to my pc and run some
> applications like vi, mpg123 etc or even use my pc the
> way I'm using it (just experimenting and of course I
> would definitely want to do that too).
>
> These are the questions that are constantly floating
> in my mind:
>
> 1. If I have a modem connected to a phone line, is it
> possible to let my friend dial from his pc my
> telephone number and then let FreeBSD answer the call,
> and authenticate him by some sort of a login prompt?

Look at /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample

scroll down to:

# Server side PPP
#
#  If you want the remote system to authenticate itself, you must insist
#  that the peer uses CHAP or PAP with the "enable" keyword.  Both CHAP and
#  PAP are disabled by default.  You may enable either or both.  If both
#  are enabled, CHAP is requested first.  If the client doesn't agree, PAP
#  will then be requested.
#

> 2. What process would this be? Will I use some sort of
> ppp server and then he uses his ppp to dial my
> telephone number?
>
> 3. And If ever he will be connected to me
> successfully, is it possible for me to still dial to
> my isp knowing the fact that he is using my modem to
> connect to my pc?

If you have a second modem and line so one connects to your
friend and the other to your ISP.  Your friend can also go to the internet
through your system.

-Mike