Xorg and ATI Rage-Mobility

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Fri Sep 24 10:27:30 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 02:22:53PM -0400, doug at safeport.com wrote:

> I have tried the default xorg.conf (from Xorg -configure), one that I edited,
> <snip> All do the same thing - give a black screen,

Me, too.

> Xorg.0.log has no error messages.

Me, too.

>     vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
>     device   = '01541014 Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x'

The P/M Mobility AGP 2x matches what the laptop I have uses: an IBM
A20m.

What I see from ps ux is that both my X session and window manager
start, but (as you point out) the screen goes black.

It's almost as if xset comes on and blanks the screen, immediately
pursuant to the invocation of X, for this particular chip.

> Thanks for any ideas

I've no ideas. I've pondered and used google and the search function
for the lists; no joy. I do note that there is a recommendation to use
the gatos bits (gatos.sourceforge.net) if one wishes to use the
multimedia capabilities of this chip; this occurs during the compile
of Xorg and/or in the Xorg log. It doesn't seem to me that the
multimedia capabilities of the card are relevant to the basic use of X
for a windowing system.

--
One million points of light shining on the new world-order model for
fascism and tyranny. Get in line.