Linux program and serial port (5.2.1)

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Sep 24 02:25:39 PDT 2004

Carlos A. Carnero Delgado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a little program , linux native, that I've managed to run
> thanks to the Linux compat layer. However, this program opens the
> serial port ttyS1, which doesn't exist as such in 5.2.1.
>
> The question is this: how do I make this program to open the serial
> port? (FYI, the device it should open is a random number generator.)

This is a complete guess, but I'm curious whether it would work:

You can make links in the /dev directory to existing devices by using
entries in /etc/devfs.conf, so in this case you could add a line like:

link	cuaa1	ttyS1

This works fine with FreeBSD native applications, so I use links like
this for my old serial port palm base, and for a cdrom link. Whether it
would work with Linux compatibility stuff, I don't know. But, as I said,
I'd be interested to find out.

HTH

Peter.

--