Port upgrading - my way

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Thu Sep 23 12:35:47 PDT 2004

> There might be something to be said for doing it "my way",
> after all, Frank Sinatra made a fortune in that manner...
> </tongue'n'cheek>
>
> You could join in the FreeBSD tradition, though, and do it the
> Right Way(tm) ...
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>
> An excellent tutorial/article by Dru Lavigne....
>
> </only slightly-less-tongue-in-cheek>  ;-)
>
> Kevin Kinsey

OK, after reading this tutorial, here is MY new WAY.

  /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/cvsup/ports-supfile
  portsdb -Uu
  portversion -l "<"   [to see if any ports will be upgraded]
  portupgrade -arR   [so dependencies will be installed, if necessary]
  [NB. If ever asked to run pkgdb -F, do it]

Taking into consideration other issues or options pointed out on the
web tutorial, will this be a good strategy from now on for performing
good port upgrades?

Curtis