Portinstall problem (config.guess not found)

Philip Payne philip.payne at uk.mci.com
Thu Sep 23 07:52:45 PDT 2004

Hi Adam,

> Am Donnerstag, 23. September 2004 01:54 schrieb Adam Smith:
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:59:35PM +0100, Philip Payne said:
> > > Didn't use Konsole but I am using KDE. It appears to be a
> problem in
> > > aterm & xterm, but strangely not Eterm.
> >
> > Exactly what I found, too.  Any compiles I do need to be
> done in an Eterm
> > or directly on the console.
> >
> > For the time being you should use Eterm.  I will upgrade to
> BETA5 and see
> > if it still exists there.  If it does, it would seem that a
> bug report
> > needs to be filed.
>
> I'd like to x-reference this postings:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=666353+0+archive/
> 2004/freebsd-current/20040919.freebsd-current
> with
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1237945+0+current
> /freebsd-questions
>
> I hope this helps finding the solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Mano

I'm using BETA5 and problem still exists. I found a post suggesting it was
an environment issue in a similar vein to Emanuel's link and found the
workaround.

It does appear that you need to either start you root xterm/aterm with
"-ls"... or you need to "su -" instead of just "su" to be able to "make"
properly. Eterm works because it starts as a login shell by default. xterm &
aterm do not.

This bug also affected my ability to do a make installkernel.

I'm not a coder so I have no idea what in the environment causes a login
shell to work & a non-login shell not work.

Thanks,
Phil.