fsck'ing dirty unmounted file system in multi user?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Sep 23 04:49:21 PDT 2004

Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml at buz.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
> after a crash of a server (running 4.10) we wanted to bring it
> up ASAP and skipped fsck'ing some backup partitions as they weren't
> essential for it to work. However, I'd now like to fsck them while the
> machine is in multi user but I always end up with.
> fsck -fp /dev/ar0s1g
> /dev/ar0s1g: NO WRITE ACCESS
> /dev/ar0s1g: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> Do I really have to take the machine to single user just to fix a not
> currently used FS?

You can't/shouldn't fsck them if they're mounted.  Make sure they're
not mounted first.

Additionally, if your securelevel is high, you can't fsck them no matter
what, as the securelevel will prevent direct access to raw devices.  You'll
have to temporarily lower the securelevel in order to fsck them.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies