Device polling question - Freebsd 4.9

TM4525 at aol.com TM4525 at aol.com
Wed Sep 22 14:57:33 PDT 2004

I'm a bit confused about device polling. I put a counter in em_poll(), and
then enabled device polling for 10 seconds and read back the counter, and it was
called 1.5million times. This is with virtually no network activity and HZ
set to the default of 100.

The docs seem to imply that the polling function gets called once per clock
tick, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'm trying to figure the
reasoning behind mucking with the HZ value, which may affect some other things
and also seems to defeat the purpose of trying to reduce overhead.

With the HZ value at 100 the system easily passes 90K pps, but Im concerned
about what variations occur when the system is under load, or if there are
time-consuming activities (like extensive firewall rules).

Also, when using device polling, even under heavy network load "top" shows
the system to be almost completely idle. How can I gauge system usage when using
polling instead of interrupts? Its difficult to compare the 2 methods when
one of them can't be measured.

TIA

Tommy Mato