Screen recording utility

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Wed Sep 22 12:19:07 PDT 2004

I'm looking for a tool to record everything that can be seen on a given X
display. Ideally, it should have support for limiting recording to a single
window, but that's not strictly necessary. About four years ago I used
Camtasia on Windoze for this, and I need something that produces a similar
result, preferably a neat small command line tool.

If such a thing does not exist, can someone please give me a hint on how I
could do it myself in ASM/C/C++/shellscript/whatever? Is it as simple as
reading from a device file, or can I just put this feature into the X server?

Regards,
Daniela