IPFW logging...

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Sep 21 18:01:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:27:22PM -0500, Eric F Crist wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I may no longer be subscribed, as I've had some mail server problems (I
> moved), so please reply to me, as well.
>
> IPFW used to log all entries with the 'log' included in the rule, but
> randomely, to me, anyways, stopped doing so.  I can't seem to get it to
> continue logging.
>
> Does anyone have any insight?  I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 from about 2
> months ago.  I'm going to cvsup tonight to see if it helps.  what log
> files can I check to verify things are working?  Thanks.

It's an feuture not a bug. I'm three years with FreeBSD and back then
you could only have a firewall if you compiled it in. I never had a
reason to change this. So i limit my explination tho that.

You can control this behavure by changing you kernel configuation file.
You proberbly have these lines in you config. You are looking for the
last. You may be able to let it continu by changing 100 to 0, but i
can't tell. If you do, then make sure you also edit /etc/newsyslog.conf
so you don't endup with a large log file.

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/