vinum software raid as boot drive

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 21 15:30:28 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, 21 September 2004 at  8:24:44 -0500, David Kelly wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>>> We could not find stated exactly anywhere, but we are presuming the
>>> description file that you use with vinum create becomes
>>> /etc/vinum.conf
>>
>> Well, you need to call it that.  The name isn't critical, but it's a
>> good choice.
>
> I use vinum only for a data volume. I've seen /etc/vinum.conf mentioned
> in the handbook and other documentation but didn't understand its use.
> Was under the impression that recent vinum stored this information in
> the headers on the drives? That it found its drives by reading the
> volume types off BSD partitions.

Yes, that's correct.  But when setting up Vinum, you need to create a
configuration file.

> Vinum in 5.2.1 often fails to remember its configuration on boot.

You're reporting that.

> But sometimes remembers on a cold boot. Would "vinum printconfig >
> /etc/vinum.conf" help?

No.  That would destroy your configuration file.  You could save it
elsewhere.  But it would be better to find out why it's not working.

Note that Vinum under 5.2.1 is in transition to a rewrite.  I can't
help you with the new version

> Sometimes vinum finds its configuration and boots. Then something
> changed and vinum behaved on 3 boots in a row. Had composed a lengthy
> email in answer to Greg's debugging checklist above. Was tricked into
> deleting it unsent.

This won't help find your problem.

> I suspect the issues are related because I always lose vinum
> configuration after a panic,

Until proof of the contrary, don't make this assumption.

Greg