How do I mount slices with no dev entry from fixit floppy?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Sep 21 11:32:09 PDT 2004

> I am making progress with my disk recovery, but I need to get to my /usr
> partition, which is mounted on /dev/ad0s1g.  The dev entries on the fixit
> floppy don't have this slice listed, and there is no MAKEDEVS script to add
> it.

Do you mean that ad0s1 is not in /dev?  That would be the slice.
Or do you mean no ad0s1g - which would be the partition inside the slice?

Also, careful of your use of the word mounted.   Nothing should
be mounted on /dev/ad0s1g or there would be problems.   But
what you want is the partition at /dev/ad0s1g and you want to
mount that on some mount point such as /mnt or maybe /oldusr if
you can make that dir.

How sure are you that your old /usr was in partition /dev/ad0s1g?
Is it possible you are looking in the wrong place?

I have not had to use the fixit disks so I am not sure of what all
is included, but I would be surprised if there is no MAKEDEV script
if it is for FreeBSD 4.xxx or older version.   In 4.xxx and earlier,
the MAKEDEV script is in /dev.  You need to cd to /dev and then
run  './MAKEDEV ad0'.    NOTE, the './' is necessary because MAKEDEV
will not be in your path.

But, in 5.xxx and later there is no MAKEDEV.
If you are in 5.xxx version then you shouldn't need it.  It is supposed
to deal with it automagically.

Try doing

  cd /
  mount /dev/ad0s1g /mnt
  cd /mnt
  ls

What is there?

If it is FreeBSD 5.xxx then maybe there is a bug if it cannot do
the mount because /dev/ad0s1g is missing , but really exists on disk.

If it is FreeBSD 4.xxx do
  cd /dev
  ./MAKEDEV ad0         or even    ./MAKEDEV ad0s1g
and see what happens.

Someone else weigh in here if this is way off track.

////jerry