Ssh connection

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Sep 21 05:33:18 PDT 2004

Pota Kalima <hpota at mac.com> writes:

> Thanks for all your responses. I must add that I am not a programmer, so all
> that the verbose stuff did not mean much too. I bit the bullet and started
> afresh - re-installed 5.2.1.
>
> I find that I could ssh to the machine itself, okay - as KeS suggested. The
> process ends with the machine connecting to itself!
>
> What I still cannot do is to ssh from another machine (Laptops MacOS X or
> windoz) which I would really like to do. On the mac I get this
>
> $ ssh -vvv 192.168.0.5
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p1+CAN-2004-0175, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090702f
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
> trusted.
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.5 [192.168.0.5] port 22.
> debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.5 port 22: Permission denied
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.5 port 22: Permission denied
>
> $
>
> The machine I am trying to connect to has NO firewall, yet.

Yes, if a firewall were blocking it, you would get a "Connection
refused" instead of "Permission denied".

If you are using TCP wrappers on ssh, remove that.  If you don't know
what that means, you're not doing it.

Try adding the "-v" flags to sshd, not just the connecting ssh.  To do
that without rebooting, I think you need to kill your existing sshd
and run it again from the command line.  If you put 'sshd_flags="-vv"'
in /etc/rc.conf, it will be done automatically at every boot (until
you remove the line again).  I think that the debug messages will go
into /var/log/messages.

Good luck.
		http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/