Core System Update

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Sep 20 11:31:17 PDT 2004

"Kenneth A. Bond" <fhb_1969 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to determine how often to update my systems.
> Currently I am using anoncvs in order to synch my source.
> >From there I run the typical
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> #
> # mergemaster -p# make installworld# mergemaster# reboot
>
> Should I only perform this when a security vulnerability is found?
>
> I am trying to achieve maximum uptime for these systems and want to
> confirm how often I should perform a core system update.

Please wrap you lines aroun 72 chars.  See
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

If you're shooting for max uptime and the most stable system, you can
follow the procedure I follow for most of my clients:
1) Install the latests 4.x-RELEASE
2) cvsup to RELENG_4_x (currently RELENG_4_10)
3) rebuild/reinstall the core system.
4) When 4.11 comes out, schedule a weekend and cvsup the system to
   RELENG_4_11, rebuild/reinstall.  Pay special attention to
   /usr/src/UPDATING, repeat for 4.12, etc
5) Subscribe to FreeBSD-security.  When a vuln is announced, recvsup
   to the RELENG_4_x and rebuild/reinstall
6) Step 5 can occasionally be skipped.  For example, there were many
   sites that I had using FreeBSD that I didn't have to update when
   bind problems were fixed, because they weren't running DNS servers.
   If you're not sure, you're safer updating than not.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies