KDE / kdegraphics3 Build Failure

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 05:37:36 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 10:48:33PM -0600, Michael G. Goodell wrote:
> When I did a make "install clean" on the /usr/ports/x11/kde3 port it built
> for a quite a while then died with this error:
>
> /usr/local/include/kjs/lookup.h:96: warning: non-static const member `const
> char* const KJS::HashTable::sbase' in class without a constructor gmake[3]:
> *** [SVGColorProfileElement.lo] Error 1 gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/graphics/kdegraphics3/work/kdegraphics-3.3.0/ksvg/dom' gmake[2]:
> *** [all-recursive] Error 1 gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/graphics/kdegraphics3/work/kdegraphics-3.3.0/ksvg' gmake[1]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1 gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/graphics/kdegraphics3/work/kdegraphics-3.3.0' gmake: *** [all]
> Error 2 *** Error code 2  Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/kdegraphics3. ***
> Error code 1  Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kde3.
>
> I was told that I should replace the file /usr/include/sys/endian.h with a
> new one that was emailed to me by a maintainer. It seems to have worked ok
> but my question is this: I did a complete cvsup update just prior to
> building kde3 and built he kernel and world on: Aug 27 22:24:12 MDT 2004 -
> would not have rebuilding my kernel / cvsup fetched this new endian.h file?
> If not why?

That's the thing when corresponding with developers: they may well ask
you to test out patches they've literally just written.  Seeing as you
seem to have had a good result from that, I'd expect the patch (or
something equivalent) to make it's way into the system eventually.
You didn't say if you were corresponding with a KDE developer or a
FreeBSD kernel developer -- as the file that was replaced is part of
the FreeBSD system, a KDE person would have to pass it over to the
FreeBSD side for review.

Even so, the patch would generally be committed to 6-CURRENT first,
for testing, and then merged into 5-STABLE and maybe 4-STABLE after
some time.  At the moment however 5-STABLE is in a source code freeze
prior to the release of 5.3-RELEASE, so anything added there has to
pass through the even more rigourous examination of the release
engineering team.

On the other hand, it could be a well-known fix that enables that
software to build on an older version of the system: you don't say
which system version you're running, but if it's older than
4.10-RELEASE or it it's one of the 5.x preview releases (5.2.1-RELEASE
or earlier) -- then that patch wouldn't be applied to those versions[1].
In which case, you'ld either have to always apply the patch manually
whenever you did a buildworld, or you'ld have to upgrade to a newer
version of the system where it would be incorporated.

Or the KDE folks might possibly incorporate a work-around into the kde3
port to enable it to build cleanly on earlier system versions.

> I hope I posted this OK - I am new to the mailing list thing.

Seems fine to me.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] The project guarrantees that the -RELEASE branches will maintain a
stable API/ABI and that only security patches will be applied.
Although they have moved to saying 'Security+Major Errata' for
4.10-RELEASE.

                                                      Savill Way