Please explain.

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 19 02:10:18 PDT 2004

timh at tjhawkins.com wrote:

>Your taking it the wrong way, I was simply asking a question to the
>developers to confirm this.
>
>I have standardized on FreeBSD.
>
>I apologized if I made it seem like I was trolling, not my intention.
>
>If a business were to standardize on FreeBSD, they would love to know if the
>multithreading issues would be fixed completely correctly not just
>'work-arounds'.

<cut>
Well, fair enough but it still comes down to if you have a other OS
which does what you need than use that OS.
But perhaps you require the BSD license for you biz?
Actually I'm not very knowledged (far from) about design and multithread
issues however from what I read is that mulitple CPU's is a real pain
and the one who managed it the best is SUN (only read that - not sure
about it), but there working 10 years on this issues and get paid for
it. So what can you filter out of this?
If you need your idea of multithreading, then let it develop and give it
to the BSD community, otherwise use/buy an other OS.

That multithreading issue is indeed a touchy point because it is so open
for other interpretation, which one group sees  a fine solution is for
the other a low-profile dirty hack. Some hang more over to a clean
design  and other like designs but prefer something working.
DragonFly has indeed taken a different approach about solving this
issue, however which OS will provide the best solution will be proven
over time.

So IMHO your original question is not trolling but you simply ask it a
couple of years to early :-)

--
mph