Apache+mod_ssl + mod_php segfault (culprit found!)

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Sep 18 22:07:41 PDT 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>This sounds to me very much like you've got the mod_php loadable
>object linked against an incompatible version of a shlib which
>apach+mod_ssl is also linked to.  At a guess:
>
>    i) I'd finger the OpenSSL libs as a prime suspect: particularly if
>       you've also installed OpenSSL from ports.  It's not necessary
>       to install OpenSSL from ports as the version in the base system
>       is perfectly OK.

<snip other good stuff>

It certainly seems that you are right as usual, Matthew.
Removing "openssl.so" from /usr/local/lib/php/20020429
and restarting Apache works (no core dump!) ... albeit
PHP doesn't have OpenSSL support in it now, I guess ...

After checking with ldd(1) as you suggested ... how should
we fix this if we want PHP to have support for OpenSSL?
It's not that critical in my case ... but PHP is ;-)

RTFM pointers accepted :-)

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.