Hard drive encryption

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Fri Sep 17 14:53:08 PDT 2004

[Jim.Kinsey at nokia.com, 2004-09-16]
>  I understand that gbde requests a password before the partition can be
>  mounted anyway so this simulates the same functionality of PointSEC,
>  but since it is part of the OS, it seems that if someone has access to
>  the OS, they could still get in.  Is that right?

See gbde(4) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=gbde&sektion=4

	The objective of this facility is to provide a high degree of
	denial of access to the contents of a ``cold'' storage device.

	Be aware that if the computer is compromised while up and running
	and the storage device is actively attached and opened with a
	valid pass-phrase, this facility offers no protection or denial of
	access to the contents of the storage device.

	If, on the other hand, the device is ``cold'', it should present
	an formidable challenge for an attacker to gain access to the
	contents in the absence of a valid pass-phrase.

	Four cryptographic barriers must be passed to gain access to the
	data, and only a valid pass-phrase will yield this access.

A "cold" device should be understood as a hard drive (or other geom-
device) that is not powered on, or that has not yet been opened by a valid
pass-phrase. For more info on the four barriers, read the rest of the
manual page. GBDE should not be any less secure just because the OS has
builtin support for it.