XFree86-4 config issue

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 17 13:24:13 PDT 2004

digish reshamwala <reshamwa at usc.edu> writes:

> I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 using by creating my own installation CD from the
> freeBSD5.2.1_disc1.iso image from the main ftp site for i386 system.
>
> Now, I am having trouble configuring XFree86-4, and:
>
> After building the X11 by using following commands-  as root user
>
> # cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
> # make install clean
>
> When I tried to configure it using:
>
> # XFree86 -configure
>
> It gives me following error message-  (i.e the XFree86.0.log file exculding
> comments)
>
> "
> Fatal Server error:
> xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended io
> "

Looks like you're running at a raised securelevel.
If so, that would explain it; you can't open an X server in a raised
securelevel (it is left as an exercise to the reader to explain why
raw access to system memory and configuration registers are not
considered compatible with raised security levels).