Multiple Net Connections

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 17 11:55:25 PDT 2004

Chris Ryan <chrisryanemail at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> I am running a Firewall / router / wireless freeBSD
> 5.2.1 pII 300.
>
> i.e it supplies net access for my LAN..
>

> It has a wireless connection for internet that
> sometimes goes down and i wanted to get a backup
> internet connection for it - either DSL or ISDN.
>

> How can i enable it to use 2 different net
> connections? - and prioritize between the wireless
> first then if not available - the DSL.
>
> Is BGP the answer? and if so how?

BGP is the answer for a sufficiently-large site, but you need the
cooperation (peering) of your upstream providers.

Since you're asking the question, that's unlikely to be an option
for you.  Some sort of failover solution would be a better idea;
but I don't specifically know of any that are intended for
wireless connections.