Highpoint RAID HPT374

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 17 07:46:49 PDT 2004

Joshua Lewis wrote:
> I am looking to make a RAID MIRROR using my built in HPT374 raid
> controller on my ABIT AT7-MAX motherboard. I will be installing the OS,
> MySQL, BIND9, POSTFIX2, APACHE2, PHP4, and MONO.
>
> I realize I should use separate drives. I will when I have the money.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> one is there anything special I should keep in mind (like drivers that
> support this chip and so on) and two when I was creating the array in the
> BIOS utility it asked what block size I would like to use.

Using RAID-1 mirroring of two partitions on a single drive doesn't make a lot
of sense: it will greatly slow down performance without gaining any real
improvement to reliability.

What blocksize you should use depends somewhat upon the files you use, and is
best determined by benchmarking your expected load using the data you have;
that said, normally a small blocksize will work fine if you have lots of small
files.

--
-Chuck