what are the pros and cons of running in single user?

Thu Sep 16 10:39:24 PDT 2004

Now might be a good time for me to point out that I'm learning some
subtle and useful things about system startup that is helping me think
about how I might customize system start up if I go that route.

Thanks to everyone who's responding.

alex

On Sep 16, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Sergey Zaharchenko wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 06:01:13PM +0300,
>  Giorgos Keramidas probably wrote:
>> On 2004-09-16 09:11, Ed Budd <ebudd at grokking.org> wrote:
>>> er...doesn't "single user" mode mean no networking? My understanding
>>> is
>>> that this is really only for maintenance (ie. make installworld,
>>> etc.),
>>
>> Well, you can always bring up the network interfaces manually ;-)
>>

> Actually, that's what /etc/netstart is for.
>
> --
> DoubleF
> Carmel, New York, has an ordinance forbidding men to wear coats and
> trousers that don't match.

  Alexander Sendzimir (owner)                    802 863 5502
  MacTutor: Apple Mac OS X Consulting       info at mactutor.biz