packet pass through vs ftp -- performance weirdity

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Thu Sep 16 07:34:58 PDT 2004

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> Happened to me once needed to set the the speed of the nic card in
> rc.conf can not remember how to do it but it is in the man rc.conf page
> and solved my similar problem.  Looks something like this if i can recall
>
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 209.155.173.22 something about manually setting the
> speed and mode of the card "
>
> for me it had to do with the card not negotiating it parameters properly
> and i had to beat it into submission with manual overrides.  glanced
> through the rc.conf man page but it is to long for me deal with right
> now the setting are in there somewhere.

This seems highly unlikely, since the same hardware is being used for
the fast case:

Fast   dsl line -- NIC -- FreeBSD -- NIC -- 10MB ethernet -- NIC -- NT

Slow                      FreeBSD -- NIC -- 10MB ethernet -- NIC -- NT

Is this similar to the case you experienced, or was your network
connection to the outside world via a different nic interface?

Gary