make kernel / make installworld failed - Signal 4

Owen.G owen.g at onlinehome.de
Thu Sep 16 04:22:08 PDT 2004

JohnsoBS at vicksburg.navy.mil wrote:

Sounds like you complete enough of the make installworld to prove fatal.
When you backup and use your old kernel its got binaries of a new and old
make world. Sadly, only way I ever found to get around that was a full fresh
reinstall. If you have another machine you could possibly complete the
entire build process on it, boot up with the new kernel, and then run a
make installworld from the /usr/obj of the other machine. Just make sure to
specify the proper runtime compile options as the install will fail if you
compile for a specific arch that doesn't match.

Thanks,

I'll leave the PC until 5.Stable comes out then.  I hadn't got past the
stage of failing to get kde 3.3 to work under xorg in any case!

I don't know what went wrong in the build/upgrade process so I'd be
suprised if it was something in the sources because I upgraded to
5.2.1#2 and then #9 both with custom kernels before making the most
recent edits (and it all going wrong).

Owen