What to backup

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Wed Sep 15 12:10:08 PDT 2004

On 09/15/04 11:19 AM, Curtis Vaughan sat at the `puter and typed:
> I have a question about what exactly I should backup on my 5.3 FreeBSD
> Server. So far I have chosen the following directories for full backup.
>   But perhaps some is overkill.
>
> /etc
> /boot
> /home
> /var/log
> /usr/ports
> /root
> /usr/local
> /usr/src

As mentioned by other posters, you can probably omit /usr/local,
/usr/ports, and /usr/src, but of course you may want to include any
directories you make code changes in, particularly if you have a habit
of hacking the kernel.  I also make a point of saving any custom kernel
configs in /root/kernels, and softlinking them to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
so that when /root is backed up, the kernel config is too.

I still haven't found a reliable way to save my fvwm2 patch in the ports
directory (I changed the screen wraparound behavior) so I just keep that
one in my home directory.  That's pretty much the only port I've hacked,
so it works for now.

You might also want to back up /usr/local/etc if you skip /usr/local.
Many important ports will use this area for configs, and you won't want
to lose the weeks or months you spend tweaking these out either.

Good luck

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

QOTD:
  "It's hard to tell whether he has an ace up his sleeve or if
  the ace is missing from his deck altogether."