downgraded server from 5.2 to 5.1, everything dumps core now.

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 14 22:57:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:11:02PM -0600, Peter wrote:
> Hello,
>   I was doing an upgrade to several servers, and one of them I
> accidentally cvsupped from RELENG_5_2 to  RELENG_5_1, did a normal
> buildworld/kernel, install kernel/world, and lastly a reboot.  When I
> realized that I had accidentally downgraded, I tried to upgrade, cvsup
> ran fine.  But now buildworld, and tons of other commands
> [w,config,man,ifconfig,etc.etc.] dont' work, or just core dump on me
> with "Bad System Call".
>   Question:  Even though I downgraded, the system should function
> right?

If you did it properly, yeah.  You're trying to run 5.2 binaries on a
5.1 kernel, which will not work.  At this point you can go back to the
5.2 kernel, or reinstall 5.1 from other media (CD, FTP, etc).

Kris