shared irqs and performance

Sandy Rutherford sandy at krvarr.bc.ca
Tue Sep 14 22:32:31 PDT 2004

 > The card won't be facing any stability problems. And there is no
 > reason why you should force the card to another IRQ because modern
 > motherboards DOES allow IRQ sharing and there is no performance hits
 > for it.

That's supposed to be the case and is usually the case.  However, when
left to its own devices, my Supermicro P6DBE board would always share
an IRQ between a triple channel Mylex extremeRAID 1100 controller and
one of the channels of a dual channel ZX348 ethernet card.  When this
happened, I would always see about 20% dropped packets on the ethernet
channel sharing the IRQ.  Manually overriding the IRQ assignment so
that the RAID controller didn't share an IRQ with anything solved the
problem.

None-the-less, if there is no obvious evidence of odd behaviour, IRQ
sharing is perfectly fine.  However, if things are clearly not
performing as they should, investigating potential IRQ sharing
problems is not a bad idea.

...Sandy