booting beta3 on A7N8X

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Sep 12 23:31:31 PDT 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 02:56 pm, "Lee Harr" <missive at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2004-09-12, Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> >Well, I'm not entirely sure, either, but in any event I don't think
> >you'll need to go that far. However, I think you'll probably have to
> >stick with 5.x so that your hardware will be supported.
>
> Thanks for your help. Once I disabled firewire in the BIOS, the
> 5.3-beta3 booted and installed just fine.  :o)

That's funny ... you know, come to think of it I might have done this a
long time ago, as I tend to configure the BIOS to just enable what I
need or might use. Also, dmesg doesn't seem to indicate firewire is
there, but there are a few unknowns that might be firewire. I primarily
bought this board because of the AGP slot, Althon support and general
reviews by overclockers and gamers, though I've read of some trouble
with RAID and firewire on some OSes but haven't tried it myself. I
figured if I really want to go with RAID I'll invest in a separate
controller with a good reputation. Anyhoot, for general use these
boards seem to work fine, and it sounds like it's not a big deal for
you to not have firewire support, so there ya go. Have fun! :)

- jt