can't start Apache 1.3 server in freeBSD 4.9 release #0

Sujit Dey sujit at rebaca.com
Sun Sep 12 14:29:37 PDT 2004

After installing Apache 1.3, i was configuring in freeBSD following the
procedure mentioned in FreeBSD Handbook( section 23.7 Apache HTTP
Server). i've tried ServerName (in httpd.conf ) with localhost,
 127.0.0.1, but using "/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start", can't start
the Apache server. It is giving httpd can not be started. I followed
same procedure in Windows and able to start Apache server. please
help me or give me some clue for how to start the Apache server.

httpd log file contails following entry...
[alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname()