how to update system time?

Matthias F. Brandstetter haimat at lame.at
Fri Sep 10 11:00:55 PDT 2004

---------- quoting Shantanoo ----------
> Is the computer properly networked? can it ping yahoo.com?

Yeah it is properly networked. I am connected via SSH now.
And of course I can ping yahoo.com and other sites.

> the computer is not able to reach the ntp server. try pool.ntp.org

The computer _is_ able to reach the ntp server.
See this example:

[ 17:34 mx2 at ebox ~ ] date
Fri Sep 10 17:35:00 CEST 2004
[ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] rdate time.fu-berlin.de
Fri Sep 10 19:57:55 2004
[ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] rdate -s time.fu-berlin.de
[ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] date
Fri Sep 10 17:35:27 CEST 2004
[ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] ntpdate time.fu-berlin.de
10 Sep 17:35:42 ntpdate[8708]: no server suitable for synchronization found
[ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ]

I really wonder why system time isn't set, because as said I use the rdate
tool on another FreeBSD machine and the same time server w/o any
problems...

Any other ideas?
Greetings, Matthias

--
Homer: There couldn't be heaven if there weren't a hell.

Bart: Who's in there?

Homer: Oh, uh ... Hitler's dog.  And that dog Nixon had, whassisname, um,
 Chester ...

Lisa: Checkers.

Homer: Yeah!  One of the Lassies is in there, too.  The mean one -- the
 one that mauled Jimmy.

     Dog of Death