how to update system time?

Matthias F. Brandstetter haimat at lame.at
Fri Sep 10 10:42:58 PDT 2004

Hi all,

first: hello to all FreeBSD users out there ;)
After using Linux for several years, I want to try out FreeBSD for some of
my servers now. I am coming from Gentoo Linux, so I am somewhat "used" to
the ports system...

Ok, now to my first question: I am setting up my 2nd FreeBSD box now. On my
first test machine I installed "rdate" (instead of "ntpdate"); I can
update system time w/o problems there.

But when I try to update system time on the 2nd box now, I get no errors
from rdate, but my time and date is not updated afterwards. When I try it
with ntpdate (with same time server), I get the following error:

6 Sep 15:22:01 ntpdate[330]: no server suitable for synchronization found

I set my local time via /stand/sysinstall to my local timezone (Austria),
CEST. With rdate, I get the right date and time, but as said my system
date and time is not updated, it stays around two hours behind...

Sorry if this is maybe a dumb question, but I really have no idea left
where the problem could be (because this works wonderful on the other
FreeBSD test machine).

Greetings and TIA, Matthias

--
But let me tell you, the slim lazy Homer you knew is dead.  Now I'm a
big fat dynamo.

  -- Homer Simpson
     King-Size Homer